California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS)
California School Climate, Health and Learning Survey System
(CalSCHLS) is a comprehensive state effort to provide local school communities with their own data.
- The survey system consists of three interrelated surveys: The CA Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS), The CA School Staff Survey (CSSS), and the CA School Parent Survey (CSPS)
- AUSD values the survey data for addressing the needs of students. improving the learning and teaching conditions, and addressing LCAP requirements.
The California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) - The CHKS is focused on the five most important areas for guiding school and student improvement (for students in grades 5, 7, 9, and 11). Students will take the survey online:
- students' connectedness, learning engagement/motivation, and attendance;
- school climate, culture, and conditions;
- school safety, including violence perpertartion and victimization/bullying;
- physical and mental well-being and social-emotional learning;
- student supports, including resilience-promoting developmental factors (caring relationships, high expectations, and meaningful participation).
California School Staff Survey (CSSS)
- provides camparison data from the questions to understand staff perceptions of student behavior and attitude;
- addresses the working environment and conditions, including staff relationships (collegiality), organizational expectations and norms, and meaningful participation in decisions;
- encapsulates the scope and nature of existing student supports, programs, and services (e.g., discipline, counseling, health, and prevention); and
- assesses parent supports and involvement
California School Parent Survey (CSPS) - Parent involvement is a Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) state priority. This short survey provides a means to confidentially obtain:
- parent perceptions about the school's learning environment;
- school climate;
- student supports; and
- parent outreach and involvement efforts (e.g., how welcoming, communicative).
- data on the scope and nature of parent involvement at the school (relationships, activities) and in the child's education in general.
You can view sample surveys below:
AUSD has administered the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) for over a decade. Questions are well aligned to our Local Control Accountability Plan. Data from survey responses will be used to steer the initiatives in the LCAP.