The parents/guardians of any student enrolled within the district may apply to enroll their child in any district school, regardless of the location of their residence within the school (Board Policy 5116.1).
Priority will be given in the following circumstances:
- Student has been identified on the state's Open Enrollment Act list.
- Student has been enrolled at a site designated by the California Department of Education as "persistently dangerous".
- Student is a victim of a violent crime while on school grounds.
- Special circumstances that might be harmful to the student at the current site.
- Threats of bodily harm or threats to emotional stability of student.
- A written statement from a representative of an appropriate state agency or a properly licensed professional or a court order for a special circumstance to be granted.
- Student has a sibling already attending that school.
- Student has a parent/guardian assigned to that school as their primary place of employment.
Application and Selection Process
Forms should be submitted between January 1st and March 1st of the school year preceding the school year for which the transfer is requested.
- The district will calculate each school's capacity using student enrollment and available space.
- Except for priorities listed above, the district will employ a random and unbiased selection process to determine who shall be admitted whenever a school receives admission requests beyond their capacity.
- The district will provide written notification to applicants over summer break as to whether their applications have been approved, denied, or placed on a waiting list.
- Applications submitted after March 1st are not eligible for the waitlist.
- Approved applicants must confirm their enrollment within 10 school days.
- Truancy may result in revocation of this transfer and placement at your home school.