ORCHARD PARK ATTENDANCE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Regular attendance at school is the first step toward academic success. According to California law, it is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to see that their student attends school regularly. Attendance is taken and reported each day for kindergarten through fifth grades and each class period, each day for grades 6 through 8. Each day a student has an unverified absence, the parent/guardian will receive an automated phone call and if the absences become excessive, the parent/guardian will receive a notification of truancy.
ABSENCES: It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to notify the school, within 3 days of their student’s absence in the following manner:
- Call (preferably by 11:00 a.m.) the Attendance Assistant at 779-7445 ext. 25070 each day of the absence. To leave a message dial ext. 25070.
- Written note or email to the Attendance Assistant from parent/guardian or parent representative.
- Physician’s verification.
When a student has had 10 absences in the school year for illness, any further absences for illness shall be verified by a physician.
The following are considered EXCUSED ABSENCES:
- Personal illness
- Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic appointment. Families are strongly urged to make appointments during non-school hours.
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family.
- Personal reasons including, but not limited to, court appearance, observation of a religious holiday or ceremony, emergency family matters.
The following are examples of absences that are UNEXCUSED:
- Oversleeping: (parent or student)
- transportation problems
- work at home
- traveling / vacation
- participating in rehearsals/practice/performances for outside activities
Consequences for Unexcused Absences:
By law, after three (3) unexcused absences, a student is considered truant. When a student is truant, parents/guardians will receive a first notification of truancy by letter. If truancy continues, a second notification and request to attend a School Attendance Review Team meeting with school staff will be made. If truancy continues, a third notification and summons to report to our school district’s Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) will be made.