DUAL IMMERSION (DI)
Dual Immersion Defined:
Education that combines students from two language groups for instruction has been in existence for nearly 40 years, and its popularity has grown. High-quality two-way immersion programs share certain features:
- Classes are taught by qualified and highly trained bilingual and monolingual teachers.
- The program includes fairly equal numbers of two groups of students: native English speakers and native Spanish speakers.
- Dual Language Immersion is a unique educational program that builds student bilingualism and bi-literacy in English and in Spanish.
- Students continue to learn standards-based content while they become fluent linguistically and academically.
Our district is incorporating the 50/50 Dual Immersion model. In this model, 50% of instruction is in English and 50% is in Spanish. Curriculum and grade-level content standards are consistent with the elementary school programs of AUSD.
Benefits of the Dual Immersion Program
- High academic achievement
- Cross-cultural relationships
- Competitive advantage for college and career opportunities
- Advances for college admission and scholarships
- Respect for self, family, school, and community
- Builds leadership and self-confidence
- Develops strong school and family partnerships
- Equips students with skills to be more successful in a global economy
Who can participate in DI?
- Transitional Kindergarten-Grade 5 students who speak English, Spanish or both.